Tuesday, February 9, 2010

hormone patch

Q: I have been using a bioidentical hormone cream with a combination of estrogen and progesterone. I feel great but don't like the inconvenience of applying the cream twice a day and the expense (my insurance does not cover the cost). I was talking to a friend who uses a bioidentical patch (Vivelle Dot) that her insurance pays for. She is also using a compounded progesterone capsule. She pays for the progesterone out of pocket but says it is very inexpensive. Do you have patients who are using Vivelle and are they happy with it? Does the patch stick well?

A: Yes, I prescribe Vivelle Dot regularly and have been very happy with it. If my patients are happy, I'm happy! Patients seem to like the convenience and effectiveness of Vivelle. It is much smaller than a generic estradiol patch and adheres better. On a rare occasion I will run into someone who has to discontinue using it due to an allergic reaction to the adhesive. Otherwise I've had no complaints! ~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment