Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)

Q: I am 32 years old. I had a normal vaginal delivery with my first child and a C-section with my second child due to breech position. Am I a good candidate to try for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) with my next pregancy? How likely is it that I will be able deliver vaginally?

A: There are many factors that affect your ability to have a successful VBAC. Some can be predicted ahead of time (prior obstetrical history, reason for prior C/S, general health, etc.) and some may not be known until closer to deliver (such as cervical dilation, size and presentation of fetus, etc.)

Many studies have been done to identify factors that affect the chance of trial of labor success (resulting in successful VBAC). Some factors that increase success include: Caucasian race, nonsmoker, body mass index less than 30, prior vaginal birth, uncomplicated pregnancy without other comorbid medical conditions and prior C/S related to multiples (like twins).

There are models in which specific factors such as demographics, OB history, overall health, etc. can be plugged in to help predict success rates. One can be found at www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/vagbirth.html. With the limited information I have about you I would say your chances of a successful VBAC are very good, but I recommend a visit with your health care provider to further discuss this. Thanks for asking the question and good luck!

~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment